Organisations to be Informed of the Death
- Car Insurance – Documentation will have to be changed as you are not legally insured to drive if the policy is in the Deceased Name.
- Social Services/District Nurses – If there is equipment belonging to either of these, it must be returned.
- Hospital and/or family Doctor
- Employer or Professional Association
- Inland Revenue
- Social Security – (Form 344/BD8 needs to be completed to cancel any direct payments into a bank account. This white certificate is provided by the Registrar of Deaths)
- Local Council – (Re any housing/rate benefits and council tax)
- Gas, Electric, Water, Telephone and Cable Companies
- Post Office – (Should redirection of mail be required)
- Credit Card Companies
- Store Cards
- Banks and Building Societies
- Investments and Insurance Policies – (Premium Bonds are not transferable. The Post Office will issue you with a form that needs to be sent to the Bonds and Stocks Office. For further advice we suggest that you consult a Financial Adviser or Accountant.
Items to be Returned
- Passport – (You should return the passport to : The Passport Office, U.K. Passport Agency, 5th Floor, India Building, Water Street, Liverpool.)
- Driving License – (You should return the driving license to : D.V.L.A., Swansea, SA99 1AB)
- Vehicle Registration Documents (To change name of ownership)
- Car Insurance – (To change Policy Holder’s name or a refund may be issued)
- Television License – (To change name or a refund may be issued)
- Season Tickets and Club Memberships Cards – (A refund may be issued)
- Library Books and Card
- National Insurance Papers
If the Property is Unoccupied
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked and secure, if there are any cat/dog flaps make sure they are secured.
- In winter leave some heating on, as this will prevent any pipes from freezing.
- Make sure that the fridge door is left ajar and that all perishable foods are disposed of. Household plants may need to be tended to.
- It may be advisable to let a neighbour have a key to remove any free newspapers and post to stop them building up.
- Blinds or curtains may be adjusted every couple of days, hence giving an appearance of the house being occupied.
- Time clocks can be purchased from most hardware stores, which time a lamp or light to turn on and off at certain times.